Thursday, September 8, 2011

Countdown to Labour Day

For many people here in New Zealand, the fourth Monday in October, or Labour Day, marks the end of winter frosts and signals the start of the gardening season.
Keen to get in on the act early, I have several seedlings poking their tentative heads out of the soil in my 'green house' ready to be planted out in my new, hubby-built veggie planters in a few weeks.
As this is my first year of 'Square foot gardening'. I'm sticking with what I know. Broccoli, Cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, coriander and Lettuce already sown, with beans, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and strawberries to follow. No  heritage varieties yet.
It almost goes against the grain to be planting just one or two seeds at a time, but it really does make sense. Why grow your vegetables in a traditional manner, taking up more space than you would like to use up, and producing more veg than you family can consume before it wilts, unwanted, in the bottom of the fridge? By sowing only as much as you will eat in a week, every week, you will have a continuous crop of fresh, home grown veggies all year round.
So the theory goes, anyway. I'll let you know how it works in practice in due course!

No comments:

Post a Comment